Saturday, September 29, 2012

Take risks, have adventures, & make the most of each day

"If the clouds are full of rain, they empty themselves on the earth, and if a tree falls to the south or to the north, in the place where the tree falls, there it will lie. He who observes the wind will not sow, and he who regards the clouds will not reap. As you do not know the way the spirit comes to the bones in the womb of a woman with child, so you do not know the work of God who makes everything. In the morning sow your seed, and at evening withhold not your hand, for you do not know which will prosper, this or that, or whether both alike will be good." -Ecclesiastes 11:3-6

I've been studying through Ecclesiastes since the beginning of the summer. These were the verses I spent time studying today. God has really taught me a lot through this book and these verses have extreme relevance in everyday living, especially in my life right now.

Solomon tells us that life is absolutely uncertain. We are not promised anything. But we can know and trust the Creator who is ultimately and always in complete control. We must not wait for perfect conditions in life to do everything. We must take risks.

I'm graduating in 7 months. Whoa! I have to let that sink in for a moment. I know God wants me to give my summer to SWO. SWO13 is my immediate post-MC plans. And after that I'm drawing a blank right now. Only the good Lord knows what's gonna happen and right now He's telling me to be obedient and go back to SWO and then trust Him and what He's gonna direct me to do after the summer.

God's ways are much higher than our ways. Solomon reiterates that in v.5. We must trust God. Do I? Yep. He has proved Himself to me many times that now I know to simply trust Him.

v. 6 sticks out to me. I like to keep busy most of the time- unless like today it was storming all day and I needed a mental health day and literally slept til 5pm! Solomon tells us to "sow our seed in the morning" that means a 9-5 job (or whatever your full time job schedule looks like) and "withhold not your hand in the evening" so keep busy after work. Why? "For ou do not know which will prosper, this or that, or whether both alike will be good."

Solomon tells us to keep busy because only good will ultimately come from it. I don't think God wants us working 2+ jobs but He wants us to make the most of our time. Parents, spend time investing in your kids after work. Kids, spend time learning from your folks and deepening friendships for the Gospel. And don't waste evenings watching TV all them. Spend time with God or find a hobby you can use for His glory.

Life App: We need a spirit of trust and adventure facing life's risks and opportunities with God-directed enthusiasm and faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment